Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

We Come Back to Heal Ya


I love Phoebe's layering and her contrast between the brown leather/corduroy (great vest) and the femininity of her lace skirt. The color palette also benefits greatly from her touches of blue and teal. I love it when people put thought into what they wear... I rather think it's more important in these months. As you can tell from the photo, the leaves have begun their perishing. It's starting to feel like October!

Were it not for the fiery red and gold of the falling leaves, I don't know how I would feel about autumn. It's a season too unexpectedly chilly for me to feel at ease. Yet, autumn can't make up its mind, harboring frigid cold one day and a radiating heat the next. Yes, yes, I understand that this is the season of slimming colors and silhouettes, and lovely layering (as we see above), but you must understand that as a kid I hated the colder seasons with a vengeance that has yet to fade entirely.

I think it's the implications... fall and winter means less sunlight, less time spent in natural environments--they become hostile and unsustainable. Instead we must curl up into ourselves and others for warmth, stay indoors as the days dim quicker. You begin an inside life and must live partly through your imagination (as opposed to summer, when you just go outside and do). This year, however, I'd like to think that I'm ready for the new season... got some dollar store gloves and many new layers to pile on until the cold can't quite reach my blood.

By the way, quick random autumnal advice... I learned from running track in high school that you lose heat from your hands, feet, and head (ears) at the highest rates. So... this would be a good time to invest in socks, tights, gloves, earmuffs, and beanies! Also, layering isn't just for looks, it's extremely practical as well! I think we all know that the insulation between layers keeps us a lot warmer than we would be with just one thick coat on.

Love,

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment